Atletico Madrid – Bayer Leverkusen Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips – 26.10.2022
⚽ Atletico Madrid – Bayer Leverkusen Predictions
Atletico Madrid – Bayer Leverkusen Predictions and Tips and Odds for October 26, 20:00 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.
Atletico Madrid – Bayer Leverkusen Preview
- Atlético Madrid host Bayer Leverkusen in a crucial UEFA Champions League (UCL) clash as Group B enters its gripping finale with just one UCL knockout spot left to play for. Now winless and goalless in their last three consecutive continental outings (D1, L2), Diego Simeone’s Atléti know that nothing but a pair of victories in the remaining two rounds will do if they want their destiny to remain in their own hands and avoid exiting at the group stage for only the second time in the past ten years.
- Encouragingly, the points Atlético have picked up so far in this competition have arrived at the Metropolitano Stadium (W1, D1) but it doesn’t appear to be the fortress of old, backed up by an unusually mixed home record in all competitions this term (W3, D2, L2). Don’t be surprised if Simeone pulls it out of the bag once again however, as Atlético have now put together a five-game unbeaten run (W3, D2) and haven’t tasted defeat at home to German opponents since 1996 (W8, D3)!
- There’s perhaps a bit of added incentive for ex-Real Madrid midfielder turned Leverkusen boss Xabi Alonso to end Atlético’s unbeaten run and leapfrog them in the standings. It’s not been a fairytale start to life as Die Werkself boss for the Spaniard, as he’s not tasted victory since beating Schalke 4-0 in his opening game in charge (D1, L2), whilst a 5-1 defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt on their last away trip surely won’t see them travel with confidence.
- That run also contained a 3-0 loss to Porto on their last UCL outing, meaning that even two victories from Leverkusen’s remaining games will only be enough for a first knockout appearance since 2016/17 if their Portuguese counterparts fail to win both of their own. Leverkusen may feel confident of holding up their end of the bargain having beaten Atlético 2-0 in the reverse fixture, but a poor travelling record in this competition across their last ten UCL away trips threatens to harm those chances (W2, D4, L4).
- Players to watch: After last weekend’s brace, his first double since October 2021, Atlético forward Antoine Griezmann has six goals this campaign, including one of his side’s two UCL group stage strikes. Meanwhile, Leverkusen may look towards winger Moussa Diaby for inspiration as he netted their opener last time out, whilst also scoring the last time these sides met.
- Hot streak: Atlético haven’t scored a first-half goal in their past five UCL contests (W1, D2, L2).
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – GROUP STAGE – ROUND 5
Atletico Madrid – Bayer Leverkusen
Kick-off: October 26, 20:00
Prediction: Under 3.5 Goals