Crystal Palace – Aston Villa Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips – 20.08.2022
⚽ Crystal Palace – Aston Villa Predictions
Crystal Palace – Aston Villa Predictions and Tips and Odds for August 20, 15:00 ENGLAND: PREMIER LEAGUE.
Crystal Palace – Aston Villa Preview
- After losing the opening game of the season against Arsenal, Crystal Palace bounced back to take a point from perennial title challengers Liverpool on their own turf. Satisfied with his side’s response, Boss Patrick Vieira highlighted that workrate, determination, and courage are the ‘ingredients’ that his Eagles side must bring if they are to continue getting results against top Premier League (PL) teams.
- We are now treated to a throwback on the touchline as Arsenal midfield legend Vieira meets Liverpool legend and Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard. These two PL midfield greats clashed on the pitch 12 times for those clubs, though Vieira will hope that third time’s the charm when it comes to winning on the touchline between them (D1, L1), especially after overseeing eight unbeaten games across the last nine at home (W5, D3).
- Villa also lost on the opening day, but turned it around by settling the ‘Gerrard vs Lampard’ debate with a 2-1 win at Villa Park last time out. Playing away shouldn’t faze Villa too much either, as even with that opening day defeat at Bournemouth, Gerrard currently maintains the strongest away win rate in the PL of any Villa manager in history (43% – W6, D1, L7).
- However that win-rate could be set to take a hit if Villa’s trips to London in recent years provide any evidence on what to expect here, as they’ve failed to win 18 of their last 22 PL trips to the capital (D2, L16) whilst losing five of six last season. Villa’s only win in London last term did come at Palace though, yet a mere 13% win-rate as pre-match outsiders across their last 15 applicable PL games certainly raises questions (W2, L13).
- Players to watch: Palace talisman Wilfried Zaha scored his first goal of the season last time out – that goal was his eighth match opener across his last 14 PL scoring appearances. As for Villa, Ollie Watkins played a part in over half of his side’s 13 goals across his last ten PL starts (G4, A3).
- Hot stat: Nine of Palace’s last ten PL goals against Villa came on or beyond 70 minutes.
ENGLAND: PREMIER LEAGUE – ROUND 3
Crystal Palace – Aston Villa
Kick-off: August 20, 15:00
Prediction: Over 1.5 Goals