Latvia – Gibraltar Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips – 01.09.2021
⚽ Latvia – Gibraltar Predictions
Latvia – Gibraltar Tips and Odds. September 1, 19:45 World Cup – Qualification.
Latvia – Gibraltar Preview
- The Baltic state of Latvia is famed for its amazing architecture and beautiful landscapes, but not so much for its footballing prowess. A first ever World Cup Qualification (WCQ) looks unlikely after three winless games so far (D1, L2), but they will hope for a positive result here against the currently pointless Gibraltar.
- Despite their lowly ranking by FIFA (#136), Latvia have shown a steeliness here in Riga of late where they are unbeaten in four of their last six games (W2, D2, L2), which includes a shock 1-0 win over Austria. Not only this, but their solid UEFA Nations League record further consolidates the hosts’ title as favourites here (W1, D4, L1).
- Cast your mind back to March 25, 2018, as this date may not mean much to most, but fans of Gibraltar and the wider football community will remember the ‘Rock’s’ first ever official victory, a 1-0 success over Latvia no less. Gibraltar can double down on Latvian hurt after local side Lincoln Red Imps recently became the first Gibraltar-based team to reach the group stage in a European competition at the expense of Riga FC!
- Given a potential psychological edge, Gibraltar can hope to stop the rot in qualifying here. However, 11 of their 13 defeats in WCQ so far saw the opponents on the day eclipse a minus two handicap, as did their first ever H2H friendly (5-0). Unsurprisingly then, Gibraltar have conceded more goals than any side in UEFA WCQ 2022 so far (average 4.67 per-match).
- Players to watch: Jānis Ikaunieks opened and finished the scoring in Latvia’s 5-0 H2H success back in 2016. Meanwhile, 38 year-old defender Roy Chipolina broke Latvian hearts with a historic goal in extra time with club side Lincoln last time out.
- Hot stat: Five of Latvia’s last six games saw both teams score and over 2.5 match goals (W1, D1, L4).
World Cup – Qualification
Latvia – Gibraltar
Kick-off: September 1, 19:45
Prediction: Over 1.5 Goals