Montpellier – Marseille Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips – 07.08.2021
⚽ Montpellier – Marseille Predictions
Montpellier – Marseille Tips and Odds. August 8, 19:45 FRANCE: Ligue 1 – Round 1.
Montpellier – Marseille Preview
- Montpellier missed out on European football again last season, finishing in eighth and with a negative goal difference for the first time since placing 15th in 2016/17. However there’s now a new coach at the helm, Olivier Dall’Oglio, a man who’s been lauded previously for his attacking style of play. Fans of Montpellier will therefore be hoping he can steer their team to a better win-rate than the 36.84% they managed in Ligue 1 (L1) last term, albeit that’s actually a better percentage than Dall’Oglio managed across his last two coaching jobs at Dijon and Brest (35.36% – all competitions).
- The hosts have regularly struggled against Marseille since their first top-flight H2H back in 1933/34 (W17, D21, L29), making this a difficult way for Dall’Oglio to start his tenure. Recent seasons show Montpellier struggle with their curtain raiser too, as their last three L1 opening day matches ending in a disappointing defeat by a one-goal margin.
- A good pre-season for Marseille, coupled with some notable signings, shows they mean business. It’s likely Lille’s surprise L1 success last season will have instilled belief in this Marseille squad that a first L1 trophy since 2009/10 is possible, and breaking a four-game H2H winless run (D2, L2) at the Stade de la Mosson would show early intent.
- However Marseille have won just one their last 13 L1 away games (D6, L6) and gave up a winning HT position on the road on four occasions during 2020/21 – no side had a worse such record.
- Players to watch: Andy Delort’s last two L1 home goals for Montpellier were openers – one was a first minute strike in the previous H2H! Dimitri Payet will hope to get Marseille off to a winning start – in two spells with the club, he’s never been on the losing side in L1 when scoring (W31, D8).
- Hot stat: Across the last four H2Hs there’s been five red cards!
FRANCE: Ligue 1 – Round 1
Montpellier – Marseille
Kick-off: August 7, 19:45
Prediction: Over 1.5 Goals