Portugal – Spain Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips – 27.09.2022
⚽ Portugal – Spain Predictions
Portugal – Spain Predictions and Tips and Odds for September 27, 19:45 UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE.
Portugal – Spain Preview
- It will come down to the result of this Iberian Derby to decide the winner of Group A2 of the UEFA Nations League (UNL) with Portugal needing just a point and Spain needing all three. A Diogo Dalot brace helped Portugal beat the Czech Republic 4-0 in the last round to take control of their own destiny (W3, D1, L1) and the inaugural UNL winners can now make up for the disappointment of not making it out of their group in the last campaign with a win here, or even a draw which has been the result in each of the last four H2H matches.
- Portugal have only lost once at home in competition history (W7, D1) which should be a confidence booster. The hosts scored the match opener in their last seven home games and a repeat would settle early nerves although it’s worth noting they actually left it very late with a 82nd minute equaliser in the reverse fixture (D 1-1).
- A heart-breaking 2-1 defeat to Switzerland was Spain’s second home loss since 2003, knocking the last UNL campaign finalists off top-spot in the group. Coach Luis Enrique minced no words in blasting the “technical errors from so many players” following that loss which put Spain (W2, D2, L1) in a must-win position here. This is now reminiscent of the last campaign when Spain needed a win to qualify for the top-four and on that occasion, they responded emphatically with a 6-0 final matchday win over Germany!
- Victory by any means will do here but Spain need defensive improvements having conceded in all but one of their eight away UNL matches, with that one shutout coming in their last away trip. With a win essential though, they’ll need to focus just as much on the attack given it was in their last H2H trip to Portugal (D 0-0) where their longest ever consecutive scoring run of 42 games ended.
- Players to watch: After his performance against the Czech Republic (G1, A1), Bruno Fernandes has seen his last 14 Portugal goal contributions (G7, A7) come in wins. Spain’s resurgence may need a lift from Ferran Torres, having netted a hat-trick in the aforementioned win over Germany and leading Spain to a win in each of his ten goal-scoring appearances.
- Hot stat: Only two of the last nine H2Hs saw both teams score.
UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE – LEAGUE A – ROUND 6
Portugal – Spain
Kick-off: September 27, 19:45
Prediction: Over 1.5 Goals