Serbia – Luxembourg Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips – 04.09.2021
⚽ Serbia – Luxembourg Predictions
Serbia – Luxembourg Tips and Odds. September 4, 17:00 World Cup – Qualification.
Serbia – Luxembourg Preview
- Serbia will hope it’s a case of ‘third time lucky’ next year if they qualify for Qatar 2022, having failed to negotiate the group stage in either of their two prior World Cup finals appearances as a stand-alone independent nation. They are in what already looks like a straight fight with Portugal for top spot in World Cup Qualification (WCQ) Group A after two wins and one draw from their opening three matchdays.
- If the hosts qualify as group winners against current outright odds, they will owe much of it to a comeback vs Portugal in their last home game which saw them fight back from 2-0 down at HT. That result extended Serbia’s unbeaten run in WCQ home fixtures to ten (W6, D4), within which the last three victories all saw the ‘Eagles’ win the second half by a single-goal margin.
- Following a 2-1 win over Azerbaijan on Wednesday, Luxembourg are the top two’s nearest chasers. They memorably won an away WCQ qualifier for only the second time in post-war history back in March (1-0 vs Rep. Ireland), and by their own standards, the Luxembourg defence has shown good resilience so far, with just four goals conceded across three WCQ rounds.
- In turn, Luxembourg are on course to better their lowest previous average of goals conceded per match in a WCQ campaign (2.13), as set in the 1994 World Cup qualifiers. However, their last ten WCQ away games vs eventual top two finishers (W1, D1, L8) tells a story of woe and caution here.
- Players to watch: Serbia’s Aleksandar Mitrović entered the September international break leading the WCQ scoring charts, having sparked March’s scintillating comeback vs Portugal. He also scored braces in both H2Hs during Euro 2020 qualification. The latter of those ended 3-2 and saw Luxembourg’s Gerson Rodrigues find the net – he was also the away day matchwinner against Ireland back in March.
- Hot streak: None of Luxembourg’s last 15 WCQ away games have seen both teams score before HT.
World Cup – Qualification
Serbia – Luxembourg
Kick-off: September 4, 17:00
Prediction: Over 2.5 Goals