Sheffield Wed – Newcastle Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips – 07.01.2023
⚽ Sheffield Wed – Newcastle Predictions
Sheffield Wed – Newcastle Predictions and Tips and Odds for January 7, 19:00 FA CUP.
- It was joy for Sheffield Wednesday over the weekend as a 5-0 win over the side that knocked Newcastle United out of the FA Cup last year, Cambridge United, extended the Owls’ unbeaten league run to 13 games! Unsurprisingly in contention for promotion back to the second-tier, Darren Moore’s men can take their mind off that with a ‘free hit’ in the cup against the Premier League’s third-placed side.
- Wednesday have already defeated Morecambe and Mansfield in the opening two FA Cup rounds and having reached the final in the only year in which they defeated Newcastle, they can dare to dream. The ‘magic of the cup’ hasn’t blessed the Owls on many occasions though, with just one win from their last 18 FA Cup games against top-flight opponents as a lower tier side themselves serving to temper expectations.
- In contrast to their hosts, Newcastle should have high expectations this year following a 2022 which saw the now-richest club in the world transform from Premier League relegation candidates into top-four challengers. A goalless draw with Arsenal last time out extended the Magpies’ unbeaten run to 15 games with just five goals conceded, their longest run without defeat since 1995!
- Newcastle’s last major honour came in this competition way back in 1955, so ending a 68-year wait for a major trophy in 2023 is surely a priority. Working on putting these games to bed early would be a good start, as Howe’s men have won just two of their last 16 FA Cup third round games without the need of a replay.
- Key battle: Josh Windass scored a hat-trick for Wednesday in his last game but his two goals prior came in cup competitions, including one against top-flight side Southampton. Trying to thwart him will be Newcastle full-back Kieran Trippier; over three hours of play have passed since he assisted their last goal and he also set up their last strike in a domestic cup competition.
- Hot streak: Wednesday have kept clean sheets in six consecutive FA Cup third round games since a 3-0 defeat against Middlesbrough in 2017.
Sheffield Wed – Newcastle Preview
ENGLAND: FA CUP – 1/32-FINALS
Sheffield Wed – Newcastle
Kick-off: January 7, 19:00
Prediction: Away Win
Odds: [email protected]
✅ BUY BWIN PREDICTIONS NOW!
📊 OUR ARCHIVE TIPS HERE