West Ham – Lyon Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips – 07.04.2022
⚽ West Ham – Lyon Predictions
West Ham – Lyon Tips and Odds for April 7, 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE.
West Ham – Lyon Preview
- West Ham United’s debut appearance in the UEFA Europa League’s (UEL) proper competition couldn’t have been scripted any better. They topped Group H before a 2-1 aggregate win over the UEFA Cup/UEL’s most successful team, six-time champions Sevilla, secured their spot in the competition’s last eight. In what will be their first European quarter-final appearance since 1980/81, West Ham can at least take some comfort knowing they’ve progressed from three of their four previous European quarter-final ties.
- With home ground advantage in this first leg, this game could well play a decisive role in the outcome of the tie. The ‘Hammers’ have won their last four matches at the London Stadium and have suffered just one solitary defeat at home this calendar year (W7, D1). A key factor behind their success during that impressive home run has been striking first, that’s something they did in all eight of those clashes and will be out to do so again here.
- Lyon topped UEL Group A with the best points tally in this year’s competition (W5, D1), before overcoming Primeira Liga leaders Porto with a 2-1 aggregate win in their Round of 16 encounter. The French outfit themselves have progressed from three of their last four European quarter-final ties, a fine achievement considering they have lost at this stage in three successive campaigns between 2003/04-2005/06.
- Their latest quarter-final triumph came against Manchester City in the 2019/20 Champions League, extending their unbeaten record vs English clubs to six (W4, D2) – five of those matches saw both teams score. Travelling across the English Channel won’t intimidate ‘Les Gones’ then, quite the contrary, as only a single loss in their last ten road games (W5, D4) shows we could be in for a cracking quarter-final clash here!
- Players to watch: West Ham’s Michail Antonio will be keen to make an early impact, with five of his last six goals serving as his side’s opener. Speaking of an early impact, Lyon’s Moussa Dembélé has netted ten of his 13 goals this campaign during the first half.
- Hot stat: Lyon have seen the same half-time/full-time result in 13 of their last 16 competitive matches.
EUROPA LEAGUE – PLAY OFFS – QUARTER-FINALS
West Ham – Lyon
Kick-off: April 7, 20:00
Prediction: Under 3.5 Goals